Spicy Food & Wine Workshop (ONLINE)
Have you ever wondered which wine goes well with Curry, Thai Food or Chinese food?– well this is the tasting for you! The evening is aimed at demonstratiing which wines go well with these rich and often spicy foods. We start with a delicious DRY Australian Riesling..... Yes dry! We'll talk about the German examples on the night which are often sweeter and just as delicious. Next is a delicious spicy wine from Alsace in France called Gewurztraminer, a wine often plauded as the best pairing for Curry. Finally can you pair red wine with spicy food? Yes you can as long as you pick something with limited tannins. On this occasion we're aiming for a New Zealand Pinot Noir.
As usual our Online tasting is based on you sourcing your own wines from readily available supplies. Here are our recommendations:
- Any Alsace Gewurztraminer (Sainsbury's TTD, Tesco Finest, Wine Society Caves de Turckheim, Waitrose Domaine Paul Blanck or contact your favourite wine merchant).
- Australian Dry Riesling (Tesco Tim Adams Tesco, Pauletts Polish Hill River Wine Society, Waitrose Mockingbird or Majestic The Lodge Hill Jim Barry)
- New Zealand Pinot Noir preferable from Central Otago but Marlborough will do (Tesco Finest Central Otago, Majestic Mud House )
We'll see what suits your palate food-wise with each of these wines. I recommend a little food platter with the following:
- Vegetable spring rolls
- Duck spring rolls
- Onion Bajis, samosas, pakoras etc (many supermarkets do selections in a pack like Iceland's Indian platter).
- Some curried chicken pieces
- Optionally some Pad Thai (Blue Dragon Pad Thai kit gives you a head start)
We'll explore these wines one by one, as usual with maps, pictures, wine making facts and tutored tasting. We'll delve into the theories behind Food and Wine pairing with the emphasis on spicy and exotic oriental foods.
1 ticket will entitle everyone in your household to attend this tasting (no need to buy a ticket per person!).
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Fri 7th Aug 2020 at 7pm
Duration: 1+ Hour
Venue: ONLINE ON ZOOM (INVITATION SENT BY EMAIL)